Chicken Cordon Bleu with Minnesota Wild Rice
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts or tenderloins (1-1/2 lbs)
¼ cup butter
0.7 ounce package Italian dry salad dressing mix
1 10-3/4 ounce can condensed golden mushroom soup
½ cup dry white wine
½ of 4 ounce tub cream cheese spread with chives & onion
8 oz. pkg fresh mushrooms (optional)
Hot cooked rice or angel hair pasta
1. Combine mushrooms in a 3-1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker; top with chicken breast. Melt butter in a medium saucepan; stir in Italian dressing mix. Stir in mushroom soup, white wine, and cream cheese until melted; pour over chicken.
2. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
3. Serve chicken and sauce over cooked rice. Sprinkle with chives, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
HOLIDAY CHICKEN CORDON BLEU
- For the Cordon Bleu:
- 3 large, thick boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half length-wise (to make two thinner chicken breast cutlets; you will have 6 total thin chicken breasts)
- 12 slices good quality deli ham
- 1 cup bread crumbs (preferably fresh)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) thinly sliced Swiss cheese
For the Parmesan-Dijon Cream Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules (or 1 bouillon cube, crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Lightly grease a 9X13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs and melted butter. Set aside.
- Lay the cut chicken breasts in a single layer in the 9X13-inch dish. Layer each chicken breast with two slices of ham and top with slices of Swiss cheese, layering across the chicken breast to make sure the entire chicken breast is covered with ham and cheese. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top of the chicken.
- Bake the chicken for 30-35 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through completely, the cheese is bubbling and the bread crumbs are golden.
- When the chicken is almost done, in a medium saucepan, melt the 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, whisking constantly. Cook the flour/butter mixture for 1-2 minutes. Slowly pour in the milk while whisking quickly. Stir in the chicken bouillon granules and salt. Whisk mixture constantly over medium heat until the mixture begins to simmer and thicken, about 3-5 minutes.
- Once the sauce has bubbled and thickened, remove from heat and stir in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce and Parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted. Keep the sauce warm until the chicken is finished baking. If your sauce is too thick, whisk in some more milk. If it's too thin, simmer longer.
- Serve each chicken cordon bleu portion with warm sauce.